Thursday, April 8, 2010

I was JUST... "DYEING" TO DO SOMETHING...


I dyed my slipcover from white (which was way too white for my living room and changed the whole look with RIT DYE)
THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED....
A FEW WEEKS AGO...I DYED ONE OF MY SLIPCOVERS FROM WHITE TO BROWN...CAME OUT GREAT SO THOUGHT I'D SHARE THE PROCESS...since I am ready to start another project...

I recently purchased 20 yards of Muslin...I consider it to be the "Poor Man's Linen" it gives you a lovely wrinkled look much like that of Linen...

MUSLIN can be purchased in very wide widths which is another reason it's so fabulous for making bed covers. The Muslin I purchased was in a 90" width.

When I purchased Muslin for my bedroom I purchased it in a 60"width and ended up adding 2 seams down the top to accommodate the width of my king-size bed.
**Note  I washed the MUSLIN twice to make sure that it shrunk before I actually started sewing and dried it in medium dryer.

**Note***I once did not prewash and the MUSLIN shrunk some 3-5" ...so from now on I always pre-wash.

1. Pre-wash you fabrics to allow shrinkage or allow extra for sufficient shrinkage.

2. Cut your fabric in sections of 3-4 yards for large projects.


3. I used Rit Liquid Dye (from my local Grocery Store) approx $5.50 a bottle. A bottle will dye 2 lbs of fabric.***You will also need to purchase SALT to help set the color in cotton, linen, rayon, ramie and blends 1 cup is recommended to dye bath.***Of course read the bottle for specific directions and also you can acquire additional info at their website **DO NOT POUR DYE ONTO FABRIC BUT LET IT DILUTE IN THE WATER***WEAR RUBBER GLOVES***
4. I DID MY DYE BATH IN THE BATHTUB SINCE I HAVE A STACKABLE WASHER AND DRYER. TAKES APPROX 30-60 MIN ***CONSTANTLY AGITATING (STIRRING) TO SET COLOR (MAY USE WASHER) I PREFERRED TO USE BATHTUB BECAUSE SLIPCOVER WAS SO LARGE AND THERE WERE SO MANY PILLOWS AND CUSHION COVERS.

**BEFORE YOU ADD THE DYE TO WATER MAKE SURE YOUR FABRIC IS COMPLETELY WET THIS WILL HELP THE DYE TO KEEP TO IT'S TRUE COLOR.
 FOR AGITATING I USED A PIECE OF BOARD TO HELP STIR ALSO LIFTED AND TURNED THE FABRIC ***YOU DO NOT WANT THERE TO BE A MISSED AREA...
***NOTE***I PURCHASED ADDIT SALT CONTAINERS BECAUSE I WILL BE DOING MULTIPLE DYEING'S.I FOUND A BEAUTIFUL BEDROOM ENSEMBLE OF VINTAGE VARIETY AT http://bellanotte.com/ and I want to duplicate one of the bedding sets that I found there. The designer had used a lovely brown that I think I can duplicate...I am eader to try it...so I'll be posting the progress! WISH ME LUCK!
Now you are probably wondering what I did for clean-up i used a diluted mixture of water and bleach and dye came right off (In fact I don't recommend this but it even came off of the grout where a piece splashed onto my new subway tile.
**note**  i was so scared to do this for fear I would ruin my slipcover but if I had it to do over....I'd do it again! THE SOFA PIC DOESN'T LOOK AS WHITE AS IT DID IN PERSON. trust me it was bright white.This was a better pic TO SEE HOW WHITE IT ACTUALLY WAS AND NOT ONLY THAT BECAUSE IT WAS MADE OUT OF COTTON DUCKING IT LOOKED LIKE A WHITE SHEET. It was easier to change the slipcover than to change everything else...
If it had more cream I can assure this would not have been an option,besides the new one for SUMMER IS going to be out of LINEN!!!!!!oOOOOOOOH LOVE IT.JUST AN ***FYI**THIS TOOK 20 YDS OF FABRIC......
The Brown was great for Winter but it has to go now... (i just requested samples of linen colors today) so after I make my choice....I'll post the process. I just am ready to remove the sheers and the carpet and lighten the sofa (((Making my world better))) with a new fresh look for Spring/Summer 2010.